Gustav Newlen, an undertaker/cabinet maker had this building constructed in 1891. It was originally Classic Italianate style. The Elliott family bought the building in 1899 and renovated, combining two storefronts into a single unified façade for the Elliott Anderson Furniture Company. The front façade was renovated in 1936 stripping away the 1899 renovations. Large display windows were installed on both floors. In 1940 additional renovations were made to reflect a new style – Art Moderne – using glazed ivory brick with beige fluted Terra Cotta pilasters.